I often have an idea pop into my head that I want to write about, but it just seems too small or short for blogging. (And too long for 140 characters on Twitter.) So I just end up letting those thoughts slide by. Back in the day, when I used to post here multiple times a DAY (not just multiple times a month, which, uh, rarely happens these days), I didn’t care how short or silly or pointless whatever I had to say was, and honestly? It just felt a lot more right that way. Somewhere along the way I lost writing like that. Maybe I can get that back.
Anyway, lots of people write Tuesday Things or Seven Quick Takes, stuff like that. Short little round-ups of random thoughts. Today, Ashley posted Five Things on Friday and BAM! I decided to be a copycat. So here we go!
1. Last weekend, I went up to NYC to visit my college roommate Lara and her husband Bryan, while our other college roommate Jill and her husband Mark came into town on Sunday for a conference Mark was attending. I miss having the sort of friends around where you just veg out on a couch and eat candy and watch the Sex in the City movie. I think it’s a high school and college friend thing… for some reason, I always feel like I need to DO something with my post-college friends, and not just BE.
2. Lara and Jill are also pregnant. As was our fourth roommate Sara, until she had her baby boy over the weekend. (Another one who waited to find out the sex!) This is just weird. And awesome.
3. We’re making serious progress on the bathroom renovation. Adam did all of the demo, we hired a plumber to come install the tub because some of the pipes had to be moved around, Adam put up the drywall, he and I installed the floor tile, we hired an electrician to add a shower light (and new bar lights and a foyer light downstairs!), and we hired someone to tile the shower. We’ve still got to paint, install the vanity and mirror and toilet, and put in all the odds and ends like towel bars and TP holders. All in all, we’re likely going to come in under our original budget (i.e., my end-of-year bonus), at about 1/2 the quote we had for contracting out all the labor (which didn’t even include cost of actual items), and at about 1/4-1/5 of the quote we got from our kitchen contractors. YES! More money for…
4. OUR TRIP TO PUERTO RICO! Man, I am so excited for this! We booked a beach vacation for the second week of April. (I refuse to call it a “babymoon,” ADAM.) We’re staying in a condo right on the beach, so we can eat our breakfast and lunch there and easily head inside for lazy afternoon naps. I haven’t been to the beach since our honeymoon in Hawaii and even then, we spent most of our time actually doing stuff and not being lazy. I want a lazy vacation. If only I could be sipping margaritas.
5. I miss margaritas. I’m not a huge stickler for all the pregnancy rules. I’ve had a few sips of Adam’s beers when we’ve gone out to good beer bars and, frankly, I’m not a huge wine fan so no loss there, but there’s just something that doesn’t feel right about drinking a margarita. Especially because the good ones are kind of loaded with hard alcohol. I think our first dinner out post-baby is going to have to be for Mexican and I’m going to drink a huge-ass margarita. (Well, probably like half of it, because that’ll be enough to make me tipsy.)