Back on June 27, 2009, I started the 101 in 1001 project and came up with a list of 101 things I hoped to accomplish in 1001 days. Well, 1001 days have come and gone and I didn’t quite cross everything off, but I actually did better than I expected.
* * * * *
Here are some basic stats…
Items not completed: 32
Items partially completed: 3
Most successful categories: health and wellness (6/7), blogging (6/7), food (12/12), helping others (5/5), culture (5/5), saving (4/5)
Least successful categories: sports and exercise (4/8), crafts and creativity (2/9), self-indulgence (0/3), D.C. area (1/3)
Things I probably wouldn’t have done without the challenge: run a half marathon (now I’ve run 3!), try a bikram yoga class, make bagels from scratch
Things I really should have done, but didn’t: get a physical, write three more letters, go unplugged for a weekend, do anything under the self-indulgence category, gone one more month without buying clothes
* * * * *
Here’s the list of items I didn’t cross off within 101 days. I want to make a separate list here, because I’m going to keep up my original list and continue to cross items off, even though I’m beyond the deadline.
5. Make it to the top of the tall rockclimbing wall.
6. Learn to play golf. (by this, I never meant to actually be good at it – just to actually go real golfing, not just to the driving range)
7. Go snowboarding. (will obviously need to wait until next winter)
8. Do a pull-up, unassisted.
15. Get a physical. (I really need to find a PCP.)
16. Write 10 letters to friends. (7/10)
20. Send 5 random care packages to friends. (3/5)
27. Have someone do a guest post on my blog. (Any volunteers?)
32. Organize digital photos on computer.
33. Make back-up digital copies of photos.
36. Learn how to make handmade cards.
37. Make and send 5 handmade cards.
38. Draw in my sketchbook every day for a week.
39. Do a charcoal rendering of a photograph.
41. Make a TasteBook.
43. Learn to make a mosaic.
44. Take an art class.
57. Go unplugged for a weekend — no internet, phone, television.
58. Read a Shakespeare play I haven’t read before.
63. Go to the movies alone. (It’s hard enough to get me to go to the movies with someone.)
64. Buy myself a nice piece of jewelry.
65. Have an at-home spa day.
77. Enjoy the views from the top of the Old Post Office building.
78. Tour the National Cathedral.
80. Travel outside the U.S.
84. Ride a rollercoaster.
87. Take a spontaneous weekend trip (decide that week).
91. Go sledding or snowtubing. (Again, need to wait until next winter.)
92. See Cirque du Soleil.
94. Hike a section of the Appalachian Trail. (Hopefully this spring/summer!)
96. See a Supreme Court argument. (Probably next term.)
97. Go an entire month without buying any clothes, 3X. (2/3)
* * * * *
All in all, I’m pretty proud of myself for accomplishing as many of the items as I did. Have any of you done the 101 in 1001 project or similar challenge?