I did this a few times on the old blog, but I didn’t bother to transfer those posts here for one reason or another. It seems especially popular this year, so I’m going to jump right on that bandwagon again.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Ran 13.1 miles without walking, went to Maine, went to Seattle, went to two new ballparks (Safeco and Wrigley), went to a Zumba class, celebrated a wedding anniversary.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I did not do a very good job at keeping my new year’s resolutions this year. The two I did best at were leaving my work at the office and setting a PR in every distance I raced this year (only missed 10K). I plan on making monthly goals for 2012, rather than setting year long goals.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
This was the year of the baby. Actually, given how many people are pregnant right now, I’m guessing this is the start of the decade of the baby. My sister-in-law, two cousins, and four friends (I hope I’m remembering them all!). And I have three friends that are pregnant right now!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No family members passed away, but we lost one of Adam’s close friends from college to Hurricane Irene.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just traveled within the U.S.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn’t have in 2011?
A beach vacation.
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
I was pretty damn proud of how I ran the half marathon in March. Although I won’t remember the exact date without looking it up (March 26), the memory of that day will stick with me for quite a while.
Also, the first time (in mid-October) my almost two-year old nephew (who we see very rarely) pointed at me and exclaimed “Aunt Stephie!” was pretty cool. When we asked him my name when we saw him in December he tentatively said, “Steph… uhhh… nie?” Too cute.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
Not stressing out about work all the time, even when it got crazy busy; finishing the half marathon without walking. (Only at #8 and I’ve mentioned this how many times?)
9. What was your biggest failure?
Finding a way to fit everything I want to do into my schedule. Honestly, I’m just pretty lazy and unmotivated, so it’s totally my fault. I’m hoping to work on this next year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just a couple of colds, nothing too bad.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My smartphone. I resisted for a LONG time until it finally became evident I really needed one for work, but now I can’t imagine life without it. (The GPS alone is amazing.)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I’ll never understand how Adam puts up with my craziness year after year, but I definitely do not take it for granted.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Jerry Sandusky. (I’ve seen this answered given by a few people, and I totally agree. Also, everyone who knew about his actions and didn’t bother to speak up for those boys.)
14. Where did most of your money go?
Other than rent and food (BORING), probably to our San Francisco-Seattle-Chicago trip.
15. What did you get really excited about?
Crushing my first half marathon time (see, mentioned it again!), meeting my new niece, all of the babies!
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Can’t think of anything. I really don’t pay enough attention to music.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier, fatter, richer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Exercising. I really fell out of the habit this year once summer came around – hoping to be much better about it in 2012.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Whining, procrastinating, being lazy (as opposed to relaxing – there’s a difference).
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Visiting with my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes, with my smartphone and Twitter. (Okay, and I still love my husband, obviously.) <– Haha! Totally stole this from RA. Well, except I’m referring to MY husband.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
Drama: Parenthood; Comedy: Modern Family.
23. What was the best book you read?
I need to keep better track of what books I read. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter audiobooks.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
The Christmas Pandora station I made for my phone.
25. What did you want and get?
I’m going to go with my smartphone, although that might better be characterized as something I didn’t know I wanted until I got it.
26. What did you want and not get?
A beach vacation and/or anniversary trip.
27. What was your favorite film of 2011?
The King’s Speech. (Didn’t come out in 2011, but that’s when I saw it.)
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 31. The day before my birthday, I ran the Four Courts Four Miler, Adam and I went to tea at the Mayflower, I went out to dinner at Carmine’s with some friends, and then we went to a bar to watch UConn win the Big East Championship. On my actual birthday, we had some friends over for brunch.
29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If every weekend was a three day weekend.
30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
Comfortable? I really don’t have a defined style, although I wish I did. I’m not usually very happy with my closet, but I’ve yet to really figure out what works for me.
31. What kept you sane?
Adam. It’s probably one of the main reasons I married him.
32. What political issue stirred you the most?
I can’t think of anything – I am a bad citizen. The Republican debates do make for some entertaining Daily Shows though.
33. Who did you miss?
My friends who live too far away.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
I’m definitely at that age where I can’t treat my body like crap and expect it to bounce right back. I feel so much better, both mentally and physically, when I eat cleanly, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep. (I really need to work on that last one most of all.)
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Again, can’t come up with anything. I really suck at these music questions.
That’s it! Hope everyone’s 2012 is their best year yet!